[R] beginner questions: objects and scripts

Kjetil Brinchmann Halvorsen kjetil at acelerate.com
Fri Oct 15 02:40:21 CEST 2004

Terry Mu wrote:

>hi,
>
>I got some questions on using R,
>
>1. How do I check and edit definition of an object?
>
>for example,
>

>>x <- 1:100

You should'nt really redefine assignment, but something like

"<<<-" <- function(xyz4, value) {
      v <- deparse(substitute(value))
      xname <- deparse(substitute(xyz4))
      res <- value
      comment(res) <- v
      assign(xname, value=res, inherits=TRUE)
}

and then

 > "<<<-"(x, abs(sin(3*pi/2)))
[1] 1
 > comment(x)
[1] "abs(sin(3 * pi/2))"

You could even redefine <- to be <<<-, but don't

Probably better to use the history mechanism.

Kjetil