[R] maximum likelihood estimation

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Oct 15 09:04:38 CEST 2004

    Roger> What lead you to believe that mle() is defunct?  It's
    Roger> still in the `stats4' package in my installation of
    Roger> R.

yes indeed.  Just to clarify possible confusions:

The 'mle' *package* has been merged into the new 'stats4'
package {for 1.9.0 already}.  The mle() function has always been
available and there were even discussions on extension /
generalization of its functioning and the methods working on
"mle"-class objects (produced by mle(...).

Martin