[R] Testing for normality of residuals in a regression model

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 15 14:43:18 CEST 2004

Dear Federico,

A problem with applying a standard test of normality to LS residuals is that
the residuals are correlated and heterskedastic even if the standard
assumptions of the model hold. In a large sample, this is unlikely to be
problematic (unless there's an unusual data configuration), but in a small
sample the effect could be nontrivial.

One approach is to use BLUS residuals, which transform the LS residuals to a
smaller set of uncorrelated, homoskedastic residuals (assuming the
correctness of the model). A search of R resources didn't turn up anything
for BLUS, but they shouldn't be hard to compute. This is a standard topic
covered in many econometrics texts.

You might consider the alternative of generating a bootstrapped confidence
envelope for the QQ plot; the qq.plot() function in the car package will do
this for a linear model.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox