[R] Testing for normality of residuals in a regression model

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Oct 15 18:25:45 CEST 2004

> this purpose for
> >>>
> Thanks for your suggestions, I undesrtand that! Could you
> possibly give
> me some (not too complicated!)
> links so that I can investigate this matter further?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Federico

1. This was meant as a private reply so I would not roil the list. In
future, when a reply takes a discussion off list, you should keep it off
list, please.

2. The writings of (and personal conversations with) John Tukey and George
Box are certainly primary influences, as are numerous other commentaries
over the year from folks like Leo Breiman, Jerry Friedman, David Freedman,
Persi Diaconis and many others. Box's original paper about robustness to
non-normality was around 1952, I think, but much of what I allude to is
statistical folklore, I think. Perhaps other list contributors might give
you some better specific references.

Cheers,
Bert