[R] add-on package/windows installation probLem

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Oct 15 18:59:13 CEST 2004

You downloaded a .tar.gz file and treated it as a zip file, for some
reason not in any R documentation.

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004, Nebahat Noyan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have tried to download the bootstrap.tar.gz from the website below:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Old/0.50/INDEX.html
>
> I have extracted the folder to a zip file...and then use the load
> packages from local zip files. I use R2.0.0.0 and windows NT, i get the
> error:
>
> 1: error -1 in extracting from zip file
> 2: cannot open file `bootstrap/DESCRIPTION'
>
> ALso, when i use R CMD INSTALL with the package name bootstrap.tar.gz it
> gives a syntax error. Can you help me with this pLease?

Perhaps that is because the file you got is for R 0.50, not R 2.0.0 (sic)?
The bootstrap package has been withdrawn and does not work under R 2.0.0
AFAIK.

> Sincere Regards,
> Neba Noyan
> Research Assistant
> Center for Advanced Infrastructure and Transportation Institute
> Rutgers University
>
> P.S:
> ReLated solutions  in the mailing List are below:

They are *not* related.

> > solved :
> > before installing using menu option, go to "program files\R\rw1051\library" and
> > make a directory "pubbias", then install the package from the local zip file
> > option.
>
> > 1) the zip file might have invalid internal structure. Maybe it is
> >missing the directory `pubbias' (although the unzip code should cope with
> >that, and that's not the error code I would expect).
> >2) This is not the first attempt to do something like this, and Windows
> >had the location in use. (I have seen that one, and after a reboot it
> >worked cleanly.)
> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

What does the posting guide say about that?