[R] Testing for normality of residuals in a regression model

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Fri Oct 15 19:56:49 CEST 2004

Dear Andy,

At the risk of muddying the waters (and certainly without wanting to
advocate the use of normality tests for residuals), I believe that your
point #4 is subject to misinterpretation: That is, while it is true that t-
and F-tests for regression coefficients in large sample retain their
validity well when the errors are non-normal, the efficiency of the LS
estimates can (depending upon the nature of the non-normality) be seriously
compromised, not only absolutely but in relation to alternatives (e.g.,
robust regression).

Regards,
 John

John Fox