[R] Survreg with gamma distribution

Göran Broström gb at stat.umu.se
Mon Oct 18 21:10:49 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 08:48:40AM -0700, Thomas Lumley wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Kuan-Ta Chen wrote:
>
> >Hi, all:
> >
> >I find survreg {survival} has provided many distributions such as weibull,
> >lognormal, etc. But I wonder why it doesn't have the support for gamma
> >distribution since it should be a good distr. in lifetime analysis. Can
> >anybody figure out the reason?
>
> Presumably the actual reason is because Terry Therneau didn't need to use
> the Gamma model.  However, all the distributions in survreg are
> location-scale families,

But only after a time transformation (usually the log transformation) in
most cases (exponential, Weibull, lognormal, ...)

> which the Gamma is not, so the basic algorithm
> would have to be different.

which also holds for the Gamma; log(Gamma) is a location-scale family. So
the basic algorithm should work after all? (Haven't tried it myself,
though.)

Göran
--
 Göran Broström                    tel: +46 90 786 5223
 Department of Statistics          fax: +46 90 786 6614
 SE-90187 Umeå, Sweden             e-mail: gb at stat.umu.se