[R] Fatal error: invalid home drive

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Tue Oct 19 14:03:19 CEST 2004

Jonathan Williams wrote:

> Dear R-helpers,
>
> I have just installed R2.0.0 onto my machine which already had R1.9.1
> present.
> I then tried to add to R2.0.0 a library called GLMM written by James McBroom
> for R1.6.0. Unfortunately, R2.0.0 does not recognise the library, even
> though
> R1.9.1 does. This is not because I have used the wrong case in the call to
> the
> library:
>
>>library('GLMM')
>>"Error in library("GLMM") : 'GLMM' is not a valid package -- installed <
>
> 2.0.0?"
>
> So, I was hoping to revert to using GLMM in R1.9.1. BUT, when I now try to
> load
> R1.9.1, I receive "Fatal error: invalid home drive".

Please read the mailing list archives. I think this is a bug introduced
by a Microsoft Windows XP patch some time (i.e. several months) ago.
"R-1.9.1 patched" has a workaround.

> Is there any way I can resurrect my R1.9.1, which is still present
> physically
> on my HDD? I am working with Windows XP on a 2.4GHz desktop with a large
> HDD.
>
> Is it now the case that R2.0.0 will only run packages which it has installed
> itself, and not those that the user imports from earlier versions of R?

Well, you have to re-install packages, because some changes in R-2.0.0
make it necessary.

Please take the sources of "GLMM", read .../src/gnuwin32/readme.packages
and follow the advice how to compile packages yourself.

Uwe Ligges