[R] Cluster Analysis: Density-Based Method

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Oct 21 16:17:13 CEST 2004

    AndyL> I'm no expert in this, but mclust is `density-based'
    AndyL> because it estimates the density with a mixture of
    AndyL> Gaussians.  If this is not what you want, you should
    AndyL> clarify what you mean by `density-based'.  Do you
    AndyL> mean an algorithm based on kernel estimator of the density?

yes, kernel or other "nonparametric" density estimator, is what
is usually meant in these contexts.
[ Of course, many "nonparametric" estimators can be seen to live
  in finite-dimensional spaces, so the difference to an explicit
 "flexible" / "high dimensional" method isn't that big.. ]

Martin