[R] JDBC DB access in R

zubin binabina at bellsouth.net
Sat Oct 23 14:13:01 CEST 2004

Thanks for the reply - thru R i have large data sets in oracle, mssql,
postgres and we have jdbc drivers for all of them - most of these systems
are on UNIX/LINUX and ODBC is not used - we use JDBC to hit the DB's usually
in java applications we have.  other than that we are a large SAS shop and i
am trying to find an alternative to SAS, i think R has a good chance.

For R and SQL - i assume using the wrapper below is the easiest way to hit
databases via SQL - are there any other ways i am missing?  or is JDBC route
the easiest when ODBC is not available?

not sure if R contains some standard database routines that i am not seeing?

also

does R have some good data manipulations function - if so, could you point
me in the right direction (similiar to DATA steps in SAS)

-thx!