[R] Plotting Bivariate Normal Data

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Oct 24 18:37:09 CEST 2004

Dear Sarah,

If the data are allegedly bivariate normal, then they are probably two
vectors, not one. Assuming that this is the case, I know of nothing quite as
neat as a univariate QQ plot to check visually for bivariate normality
(perhaps someone else has a suggestion here), but you could superimpose
bivariate-normal contours on a scatterplot of the data, perhaps along with a
bivariate density estimate. The car and ellipse packages can do the former,
while the locfit and sm packages (and possibly others) can do the latter.

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox
Department of Sociology