[R] aov documentation page: question

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 25 14:59:06 CEST 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, AJ Smit wrote:

> I was looking at the aov documentation page and came across the
> following which seems like a contradiction to me:
>
> " This provides a wrapper to |lm| for fitting linear models to balanced
> or unbalanced experimental designs." (I presume 'This' refers to aov)
>
> and
>
> "|aov| is designed for balanced designs, and the results can be hard to
> interpret without balance"

and that is part of a Note, not even a whole sentence of it.  In
particular, the note has extra force for the multistratum designs
mentioned there.

> So, do I use it for unbalanced designs?

You _can_ use it, but the results _can_ be hard to interpret.  That is not
a `contradiction' -- perhaps you need to consult your dictionary?  You may
do better to use something else, like lme(), hence the `Note'.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk