[R] ploting an ellipse keeps giving errors

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Wed Oct 27 15:24:44 CEST 2004

Dear Sun,

There are indeed (at least) two ellipse functions, and the one in the car
package has different arguments from the one in the ellipse package.

You should be able to use ellipse() in either package to do what you want;
use the t argument for the version in ellipse or the radius argument for the
version in car, setting this to the square-root of the critical chisquare or
F. (ellipse in car works by deforming a circle.) If height and weight are
from the same sample, then they won't be independent, so, e.g., the shape
argument to ellipse in car would be their sample covariance matrix. The
center argument to ellipse() in car and the centre argument to ellipse() in
ellipse should be the vector of means.

But the ellipse() function in ellipse and the data.ellipse() function in car
already does all this, so why do you feel that you need to roll your own (or
perhaps I misunderstand what you want)?

I hope this helps.
 John

John Fox