[R] qustion with lars (lasso) package

Guan Xing guan.xing at case.edu
Thu Oct 28 16:35:53 CEST 2004

Dear All,

I am using lars package written by Dr. Trevor Hastie, the version is  lars_0.9-5 downloaded from cran. When I ran the diabetes example data attached in package, I found that the beta outputs from different machines are different. The difference is only about 10^-11 to 10^-12, some friends suggested that it possibly is a machine precision problem. But I check the machine numerical characteristics with command
" str(.Machine)", all four machines I am using give me same information. I am wondering whether someone has noticed this problem before. Could I make some restriction and get the same results on all machines

Thanks,

Guan Xing