[R] Running R on a grid engine

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Thu Oct 28 20:41:18 CEST 2004

See comments below.

On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 18:49, S Peri wrote:
> Dear Group,
>  I am using DEAL package for modeling signal
> transduction nets.  This process is deal slow on a
> SunFire server with 8 gigs ram.
>
> we have a grid that can process much faster that one
> individual server.
>
> However, to start the process in Grid, I have to give
> a command or submit a batch process.
>
> Is there any way, I can run R in bach process.
>
> I tried the following:
>
> R CMD | library(deal) | data <-
> data.frame(read.table('file1',header=TRUE,
> row.names=1))

Something like this works in *NIX

  echo " print(mean(rnorm(10))) " | R --no-save

HOWEVER you will run into nightmares soon trying to backslash all the
quotes and other special characters. And try to recall a long sequence
of commands you typed in a few days ago ...

Better to put all your codes into a file, say script.R and do

 R --no-save < script.R > log_script.R  &

See help("BATCH").

> Here I do not know know :
>
> 1. How can I point my data files to a function.

Two ways :
1) Hard code the path inside the script.R
2) Take advantage of commandArgs().

Example. If your script.R contains

data.path <- as.character( commandArgs()[3] )
print(data.path)
load (data.path)  # or read.delim or whatever

Then you can pass the path to test.rda via command line

 R --no-save < script.R /home/speri/data/test.rda > log_script.R  &

One thing to keep in mind is to pass the absolute paths and not relative
paths (e.g. ../../data/test.rda). Using relative path may not always
work.

> 2. creating a function (other than in R environment)

Huh ? You can put all your functions into a file, say functions.R, and
you can source("/path/to/functions.R") in your script.R/