[R] While installing Hmisc...

Jan Goebel jgoebel at diw.de
Wed Sep 1 17:30:30 CEST 2004

I guess that the perl script during the installation of Hmisc
has used all of your available memory.
I had the same problem with my laptop (288MB RAM), using
the console without an X-Server and/or adding some temporary
Swap space could help.

Best

jan

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004, data Analytics wrote:

> Dear R-Gurus:
>
> This afternoon I was installing the "Hmisc" package.
> I use R in Linux (Fedora Core 1  (yarrow)) on a Compaq presario with 128 MB RAM laptop.
> Opening an R session as a root user (superuser), I issued
>
> install.packages("Hmisc")
>
> and waited.
>
> R downloaded the package, installation was going on, and on the standard output I could see that a list of "documentation filenames" being put out. When the list of filenames came to "somers2", the computer hung up for sometime and then started rebooting.
>
> I went back to read the manuals (installation guides), and I tried to install Hmisc again and made two attempts to install Hmisc. On both the occassions the laptop started rebooting when the list of "documentation filenames" output was at "somers2".
>
> I later found the Hmisc folder in a folder called 00LOCK in
> my /usr/lib/R/library
>
> I installed several other packages using the same command "install.packages("packagename")" but till today, never faced any difficulty.
>
> What may be the issue? Anticipate your wisdom and advice.
>
> /Arin Basu
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

 Jan Goebel
 j g o e b e l @ d i w . d e

 DIW Berlin
 German Socio-Economic Panel Study (GSOEP)
 Königin-Luise-Str. 5
 D-14195 Berlin -- Germany --
 phone: 49 30 89789-377