[R] glmm

Baskin, Robert RBaskin at ahrq.gov
Thu Sep 2 17:08:35 CEST 2004

I believe in the earlier discussion it was Spencer Graves that pointed out
that there is earlier work by DuMouchel using design information but not
weights as predictors.

The reference for the use of design weights as predictors is:
<<<Start insert from earlier email<<<
< 9. Pfeffermann, D. , Skinner, C. J. , Holmes, D. J. , Goldstein, H. , and
Rasbash, J.  (1998), ``Weighting for unequal selection probabilities in
multilevel models (Disc: p41-56)'', Journal of the Royal Statistical
Society, Series B, Methodological, 60 , 23-40 >

which refers back to:
<29. Pfeffermann, D. , and LaVange, L.  (1989), ``Regression models for
stratified multi-stage cluster samples'', Analysis of Complex Surveys,
237-260 >

If you don't like statistical papers, then see section 4.5 of <8. Korn,
Edward Lee , and Graubard, Barry I.  (1999), ``Analysis of health surveys'',
John Wiley & Sons (New York; Chichester) > They explain the idea of using
weights in a model fairly simply.
>>>End insert>>>

In the earlier discussion Thomas Lumley pointed out that this means your
resulting estimates are conditional on the weights - so it's not a good
solution - just the only one published using weights.

I believe there is a Bayesian solution in the vein of Ghosh & Meeden
(1997-Chapman Hall) but it hasn't been published.

And my personal opinion is that before anyone uses design weights they
should read:
http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~cluster/ed/outline/c00ed72.PDF

bob