[R] image() with color key?

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Sep 3 22:20:27 CEST 2004

In some applications, e.g., visualizing the values of the wells in a 96 well
(8 x 12) assay plate, the matrix of results is truly discrete and you want
to visualize it that way. image() does this, but not filled.contour() AFAIK.
If that's correct, the only way I know how to do it is to overlay two plots
(par(new=FALSE)),one for the data and the other for the legend. This is
certainly not trivial, but it's not impossibly hard, either.

I hope I'm wrong on this, though, as I'd welcome an easier way, too.

-- Bert Gunter
Genentech Non-Clinical Statistics
South San Francisco, CA

"The business of the statistician is to catalyze the scientific learning
process."  - George E. P. Box