[R] Rcmdr X11 protocol error message

Michael Bibo mbibo at qldnet.com.au
Sat Sep 4 16:58:32 CEST 2004

John Fox wrote:

>Dear Michael and Peter,
>
>I've made the following changes to the current development version of the
>Rcmdr package (on my web site, at
>http://socserv.socsci.mcmaster.ca/jfox/Misc/Rcmdr/index.html, but not posted
>to CRAN):
>
>(1) The default for the Rcmdr grab.focus option is now set to FALSE for
>non-Windows systems.
>
>(2) There's a new report.X11.warnings option, which is set to FALSE by
>default; this suppresses these warnings so that they don't appear in Rcmdr
>warning dialogs. This just papers over the problem without really solving
>it.
>
>I'm not happy with these "solutions," but perhaps they'll help until we
>discover the source of the problems. (I tested on my Quantian system.)
>
>Thanks for your help.
> John

Thanks, John.

The commitment of contributors to R and to this list never ceases to
amaze me!  The temporary solutions will help.
As I have indicated, I am not a programmer, so I can't offer much in
terms of the underlying Tcl/Tk issues, but I am happy to test anything
out for you on my system (if you can explain it simply enough for me).
I have another reliable observation with the new version of Rcmdr, which
I offer only because it might provide a clue as to what's going on:
If you generate a scatterplot for two numerical variables grouped by a
factor, the plot is drawn, but the dialogue box remains on screen, and
is unresponsive.  When the graphics device is closed, you get an error
message: 'Error: No graphics device active'.
If you then try to generate the same scatterplot ungrouped (which
previously worked fine) you receive a message; 'Warning: display list
redraw incomplete'.  This only occurs the first time you try to draw the
ungrouped scatterplot.
Hope it helps.

Peter,
Any hints as to how to generate that trace of the execution you mentioned?

Michael

michael_bibo at health.qld.gov.au