[R] rodbc windows doesn't find dsn

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Sep 7 17:16:28 CEST 2004

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004, Jack Tanner wrote:

> Under WinXP, I have a system DSN called foo. It has stored
> username/password information. (I can click Configure in ODBC
> Administrator and then Test Data Source connects to MySQL without me
> re-entering data.)
>
> Using RODBC, I can connect to the same database. But when I do
> odbcConnect("foo"), I get a window that requires me to re-enter
> username/password information. It seems like RODBC is not finding my
> system DSN. Am I doing something wrong?

Well, we don't know what you are doing!  RODBC does work with system DSNs,
but did you try odbcDriverConnect?  Let me read the help page for you

     'odbcConnect' establishes a connection to the dsn, and
     'odbcDriverConnect' allows a more flexible specification via a
     connection string.  'odbcConnect' uses the connection string
     '"DSN=dsn;UID=uid;PWD=pwd"'.

so what did you enter for uid/pwd?

As the posting guide asks, *read the documentation* before posting.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk