[R] Proposal for New R List: Criticism? Comments?

Jonathan Baron baron at psych.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 9 19:04:11 CEST 2004

I think that a lot of posts on r-help are exactly of the form you
suggest: "How do I do X?"  Answer: "Use Y."  (Or maybe, "Use Y.
And next time RTFM."  But so what.  The answer is still there.)

Often, when the answer is not of that form, the question is
unclear.  In other cases, the questioner is apparently asking for
general statistical advice, rather than which package to use.

In sum, I don't think the new list is needed.  I do not want to
archive it.  I think that, if a questioner fails to find an
answer because the terms he would use do not happen to be indexed
in help.search(), etc., then he has the option of using my search
engine as a fallback, where it is likely that someone else has
used his favored terms.

Jon
Home page: http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~baron
R search page: http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/