[R] loading Sjava

Day, Roger day at upci.pitt.edu
Fri Sep 10 15:56:01 CEST 2004

Apparently further explanation is in order,
to correct some misimpressions.

I was not aware that I was intruding on a private space.
I was directed to the quoted URL for Sjava by the omegahat website,
www.omegahat.org/RSJava,
which states "Currently, it is advisable to get the binary from Brian
Ripley's Web site"  where the link is provided.
After a "refresh", I see that the page still says that.

I had indeed read three "readme"s in the SJava distribution, as well as
two
different FAQs (one on the web and one in the distribution,
and some of the documentation for usage.
I did not read the "readme" in "examples", putting that off, I think
reasonably.
I have not found the "readme" which you mention.
The page www.omegathat.org/RSJava/FAQ.html states "you will need version
1.2.0".

My message mentioned R.dll because the FAQ discusses a problem if the
installed
version of R was not compiled as a shareable library.  When I found
R.dll I concluded that that problem is probably not applicable here.
It's not
true that I concluded that R.dll was the "module" referred to.
If 1.6.2 is needed, as you suggest, I do not know yet if I will need
to compile it with the flag "--enable-R-shlib" mentioned in the FAQ in
reference
to R.dll.  If anyone already has a 1.6.2 build in binary, I would
appreciate it.

I do appreciate your help, Professor, and will pursue your suggestion
vis a vis 1.6.2.  Moderation of the pejoratives would be nice.