[R] pairwise deletion of missing cases in lm

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Mon Sep 13 13:33:35 CEST 2004

Dear Alan,

I believe that the short answer is "no," since lm() requires a complete data
set. Flexibility is provided by your ability to write your own na.action
function, but that won't cover this case. Moreover, pairwise deletion of
missing data is probably ill-advised.

On the other hand, it shouldn't be hard to write a function that computes
regressions using pairwise deletion, starting with a covariance matrix
returned by cov().

I hope this helps,
 John