[R] calculating memory usage

Adaikalavan Ramasamy ramasamy at cancer.org.uk
Tue Sep 14 16:00:59 CEST 2004

Many thanks to Prof. Ripley. The problem is that memory.profile does not
exist in *nix environment and there is probably a very good reason why.

I was reading help(Memory) and in the Details section :
     You can find out the current memory consumption (the heap and cons
     cells used as numbers and megabytes) by typing 'gc()' at the R
     prompt.

AFAICS, Ncells is the fixed memory used by the underlying R and Vcells
is the variable part and depends on the calculations.

Would I be able to say that the generating 10 million random numbers
requires approximately 73.4 Mb (= 26.3 + 80.5 - 26.3 - 7.1) of memory ?
I double checked this against memory.size() in Windows and they seem to
agree. Thank you.

> gc()
         used (Mb) gc trigger (Mb)
Ncells 456262 12.2     984024 26.3