[R] Re: datalist

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Sep 14 17:44:17 CEST 2004

    John> Hi,
    John> The following is a cut/paste from http://developer.r-project.org/200update.txt:

    John> 3) When a package is installed, all the data sets are loaded to see
    John> what they produce.  If this is undesirable (because they are
    John> enormous, or depend on other packages that need to be installed
    John> later, ...), add a `datalist' file to the data subdirectory as
    John> described in `Writing R Extensions'.

    John> I only saw a mentioning of 00Index in the description
    John> about the data subdirectory in Writing R
    John> Extensions/Package Subdirectories. Could someone point
    John> me to the right place or tell me what a 'datalist'
    John> file is supposed to be?

You need "Writing R Extensions" from 'R-devel' aka  "2.0.0 unstable".
The manuals of the UN-released versions of R, are typically
available from www.R-project.org, [Documentation] -> "Help pages"
which points to http://stat.ethz.ch/R-manual/

But for the sake of it, here is the entry for 'datalist'
(found very quickly in Emacs Info):

   If your data files are enormous you can speed up installation
   by providing a file `datalist' in the `data' subdirectory.
   This should have one line per topic that `data()' will find,
   in the format `foo' if `data(foo)' provides `foo', or `foo:
   bar bah' if `data(foo)' provides `bar' and `bah'.

Regards,
Martin