[R] Getting the real names of variables within functions

adelmaas@MUSC.EDU adelmaas at MUSC.EDU
Mon Sep 20 16:00:19 CEST 2004

Greetings.

These days I find myself writing a lot of functions to handle routine
things.  One of these  is a function to create a scatterplot of
variables and draw a lowessed line so I can get some idea if there's
any relationship between them.

lowessed.plot <- function(x, y)
{	plot(x, y)
	lines(lowess(x, y))
}

However, there's a slight problem:  the plot axes come out labeled "x"
and "y", which isn't what I want.  I want the plot axes labeled with
the names of the variables I passed into lowessed.plot for x and y.  Is
there any way to do that?  Thanks in advance for any help anyone can
provide.

Aaron

-----
Aaron Solomonâ­ (â¬ben Saul Josephâ­) â¬Adelman
E-mailâ­:  â¬adelmaas at musc.edu
Web siteâ­:  â¬httpâ­://â¬people.musc.eduâ­/â¬~adelmaasâ­/â¬
AOL Instant Messengerâ­ & â¬Yahooâ­! â¬Messenger:  â¬Hiergargo  (YM account
now sometimes with the World's first statistical Webcam, Moran's Eye)
AIM chat-room (preferred):  Adelmania