[R] t test problem?

Vito Ricci vito_ricci at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 22 10:03:21 CEST 2004

Hi,

maybe your data are distributed according a log-normal
distribution, so logs are normally distributed.
But remerber the significancy of t test can applied
only on log transformated data and not on original
data. See basic hypothesis for t testing, in
alternative use non-parametric methods to compare
results.
Best
Vito

You wrote:

Hello,

I got two sets of data
x=(124738, 128233, 85901, 33806, ...)
y=(25292, 21877, 45498, 63973, ....)
When I did a t test, I got two tail p-value = 0.117,
which is not significantly different.

If I changed x, y to log scale, and re-do the t test,
I got two tail p-value = 0.042, which is significantly
different.

Now I got confused which one is correct. Any help
would be very appreciated.

Thanks,
Liu

=====