[R] R 1.9.1 Fails to Start on WinXP SP2

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Sep 22 16:36:12 CEST 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:28:03 -0500, "Scott Higginbotham"
<Scott at creditre.net> wrote :

>>One other suggestion:
>
>>Run the msconfig "System configuration utility" to turn off most of
>>the software that loads on your machine at startup, and see if that
>>allows R to start.  Then gradually add it back until you find the
>>culprit, if there is one.
>
>Bingo! You rock Duncan. I had Rage3D (a video card overclocking utility)
>installed on the machine that wouldn't run R and I was able to isolate
>that as the problem. Once I uninstalled it, everything worked perfectly.
>
>Thanks a million!

You're welcome.  You might want to let the Rage3D people know about
the problem; they might be in a position to see what's going wrong
with the R load process, and if it's their bug they might fix it.  I'd
be happy to correspond with them if they need info about R.

Duncan Murdoch