[R] RMySQL and Blob

jonathan_li@agilent.com jonathan_li at agilent.com
Fri Sep 24 02:31:28 CEST 2004

Hi,

I tried your suggestion to blindly import the blob into R, doing the following:

> con <- dbConnect("MySQL", host="host", user="user", dbname="db")
> rs <- dbGetQuery(con, statement=paste("select picture from db where id=1")

It didn't crash R. But rs is not usable. It seems that it has been converted to a character object.

In addition, we need to pass an image format to R, like png, bmp or something. It's unclear to me how to achieve this even if we can read "rs" as a binary object as you suggested.

Any ideas?

Thanks for suggestions!
Jonathan