[R] SJava Issue

Anar Khan akhan at cs.otago.ac.nz
Fri Sep 24 07:44:40 CEST 2004

Hi,

I have downloaded and installed SJava-0.68-0 on my linux box.  When I try
to initialise the JVM from within R this is what I get:

> .JavaInit()
(1) error initializing manager class can't find class java/lang/Hashtable
Error in .JavaInit() : Couldn't start Java Virtual Machine: can't find
class java/lang/Hashtable

My JAVA_HOME variable is set in my .tcshrc script, so it shouldn't
really have any problem finding java.  (And its strange that its looking
for Hashtable in java.lang!)

This problem was posted on the mailing list by someone else also using
the j2sdk1.4.2_01 JDK from Sun last year
(http://www.mail-archive.com/r-help@stat.math.ethz.ch/msg09080.html) and I
was wondering if anyone had figured out how to resolve it?

Cheers,

Anar