[R] Sweave with other fonts looks weird in pdf file

Jeff D. Hamann jeff.hamann at forestinformatics.com
Mon Sep 27 19:33:54 CEST 2004

I've become an avid user of Sweave and would like to able to use other fonts
but when I added the following lines to a sweave file,

\renewcommand{\familydefault}{cmss}
\renewcommand{\rmdefault}{cmss}
\renewcommand{\sfdefault}{cmr}
\normalfont\normalsize

the pdf file generated with pdflatex the text for the sections that aren't
generated by sweave (all the "non-chunks") have that "jaggedy" look when
displayed in acrobat reader. When I print the document, the text looks fine.
I'm using,

C:\st521\homework\hw1>pdflatex -version
MiKTeX-pdfTeX 2.3.1222 (1.10b) (MiKTeX 2.3)
Copyright (C) 1982 D. E. Knuth, (C) 1996-2002 Han The Thanh
TeX is a trademark of the American Mathematical Society.

and don't know if this is a sweave problem, MiKTeX problem, or something
else.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jeff.