[R] Bug? using { as a function in lapply

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Tue Sep 28 22:02:01 CEST 2004

This seems like a bug to me.  Can someone verify this?

First we define a function f that returns its second argument and
lapply it to 1:2 using 9 as the second argument and all seems well.

Note that "{" as a function does the same thing as f, as illustrated
with f(1,9) and "{"(1,9); however, when we attempt to use "{" in the
very same way we used f in lapply, we get an error message about ...
being used in an incorrect context, as shown.

I am using R on windows with the version shown at the end.

R> f <- function(x,y)y
R> f(1,9)
[1] 9
R> lapply(1:2, f, 9)
[[1]]
[1] 9

[[2]]
[1] 9

R> "{"(1,9)
[1] 9
R> lapply(1:2, "{", 9)
Error in lapply(1:2, "{", 9) : ... used in an incorrect context

R> R.version.string
[1] "R version 1.9.1, 2004-08-03"