[R] Bug? using { as a function in lapply

Liaw, Andy andy_liaw at merck.com
Tue Sep 28 22:23:58 CEST 2004

But (it seems like) "{" as a primitive function can take arbitrary number of
argument, and return the last argument.  So Gabor's usage seems right, yet
somehow within lapply() "{" doesn't like the way it's being called.

Also, be very careful:

> "{" <- function(x, y) y
> f <- function(a, b) { exp(a+b); a+b; a-b }
> f(1, 2)
Error in { : unused argument(s) ( ...)
> f <- function(a, b) { exp(a+b); a+b }
> f(1, 2)
[1] 3
> f <- function(a, b) { exp(a+b) }
> f(1, 2)
Error in { : Argument "y" is missing, with no default

Andy