[R] Bug? using { as a function in lapply

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at myway.com
Wed Sep 29 00:28:03 CEST 2004

Peter Dalgaard <p.dalgaard <at> biostat.ku.dk> writes:

:
: Gabor Grothendieck <ggrothendieck <at> myway.com> writes:
:
: > Thanks for pointing out that this is already fixed in the upcoming
: > version of R.
:
: It isn't. Look closer.
:
: I'm not sure this qualifies as a bug though. It boils down to
:
: > f <- function(...){...}
: > f()
: Error in f() : ... used in an incorrect context
:
: This doesn't work in S-PLUS either:
:
: > f <- function(...){...}
: > f()
: Problem in f(): "..." may only be used as an argument in a call
: Use traceback() to see the call stack
:
: But S(-PLUS) doesn't actually have a function "{", it's part of syntax
: but not actually put into functions (and if R had better deparsing,
: may it could do likewise).

Perhaps that explains why it fails but its not clear to me that this
justifies the error, especially when you consider the fact that mapply
got it right.