[R] Warning: number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement length

Yves Magliulo ym at climpact.com
Wed Sep 29 16:00:47 CEST 2004

hi,

that means you're doing operation whith matrix or dataframe with  row or
column with different length. this can be a real reason to care about
and sometimes it could be an error and not only a warning.
you'd better adjust the length of your vector (array) to be the same in
order to avoid this warning and be sure you're doing excatly what you
want.

here's a sample of what i meant.

> toto=matrix(0,5,5)
> toto
     [,1] [,2] [,3] [,4] [,5]
[1,]    0    0    0    0    0
[2,]    0    0    0    0    0
[3,]    0    0    0    0    0
[4,]    0    0    0    0    0
[5,]    0    0    0    0    0
> tata=c(1,2,3)
> toto[,1]=tata
Error in "[<-"(*tmp*, , 1, value = tata) :
        number of items to replace is not a multiple of replacement
length

here's the correct syntax