[R] error in kmeans

Ingmar Visser i.visser at uva.nl
Fri Apr 1 16:33:19 CEST 2005

Hi Asha,

kmeans is a non-deterministic routine.

The help page says the following about the centers argument:

 centers: Either the number of clusters or a set of initial cluster
          centers. If the first, a random set of rows in 'x' are chosen
          as the initial centers.

Hence, different choices may lead to different results, ans as you can see
empty clusters. See ?try for a possible workaround if you want to keep using
kmeans.

Best, Ingmar