[R] how to draw a 45 degree line on qqnorm() plot?

Bill.Venables@csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Apr 4 02:09:53 CEST 2005

Remember this is just a diagnostic procedure and all you are really
looking for is whether the normal scores plot is pretty straight.  The
reason for anchoring the guiding line at the quartiles is really the
same reason that boxplots use quartiles for the central chunk.  You
don't want the guiding line to be influenced by the tails too much.
It's a robustness thing.

In order for the 45 degree line to be useful, you have to *standardize*
your residuals so that they look like *standard* normal residuals (just
as the normal scores are standardized).  If you do that then the 45
degree line is likely to be useful, but no more so in practice than the
usual qqline, which applies irrespective of standardization.

Bill Venables.