[R] help with kolmogorov smirnov test

James Reilly reilly at stat.auckland.ac.nz
Mon Apr 4 18:32:28 CEST 2005

Agnes Gault wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am an 'R beginner'. I am trying to check if my data follow a negative
> binomial function.
> the command i've typed in is:
>
>  >  nbdo=rnegbin(58,mu=27.82759,theta=0.7349851)
>  > ks.test(do$DO,nbdo)
> Each time i do that, p given is different

The p-values are different each time because you are using a two-sample
test, where one of the samples is randomly generated (and thus will be
different each time). ks.test offers a one-sample test against a
specified distribution, but this will still have problems with the ties.

---
James Reilly
Department of Statistics, University of Auckland
Private Bag 92019, Auckland, New Zealand