[R] a question about box counting

Rajarshi Guha rxg218 at psu.edu
Mon Apr 4 20:22:53 CEST 2005

Hi,
  I have a set of x,y data points and each data point lies between (0,0)
and (1,1). Of this set I have selected all those that lie in the lower
triangle (of the plot of these points).

What I would like to do is to divide the region (0,0) to (1,1) into
cells of say, side = 0.01 and then count the number of cells that
contain a point.

My first approach is to generate the coordinates of these cells and then
loop over the point list to see whether a point lies in a cell or not.

However this seems to be very inefficient esepcially since I will have
1000's of points.

Has anybody dealt with this type of problem and are there routines to
handle it?

Rajarshi Guha <rxg218 at psu.edu> <http://jijo.cjb.net>
GPG Fingerprint: 0CCA 8EE2 2EEB 25E2 AB04 06F7 1BB9 E634 9B87 56EE