[R] a question about box counting

Ben Fairbank BEN at SSANET.COM
Tue Apr 5 00:34:22 CEST 2005

Perhaps the following, substituting your vectors of x and y for
runif(10000)

> x<-trunc(100*runif(10000))
> y<-trunc(100*runif(10000))/100
> length(unique(x+y))
[1] 6390

Ben Fairbank

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch
[mailto:r-help-bounces at stat.math.ethz.ch] On Behalf Of Rajarshi Guha
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 1:23 PM
To: R
Subject: [R] a question about box counting

Hi,
  I have a set of x,y data points and each data point lies between (0,0)
and (1,1). Of this set I have selected all those that lie in the lower
triangle (of the plot of these points).

What I would like to do is to divide the region (0,0) to (1,1) into
cells of say, side = 0.01 and then count the number of cells that
contain a point.

My first approach is to generate the coordinates of these cells and then
loop over the point list to see whether a point lies in a cell or not.

However this seems to be very inefficient esepcially since I will have
1000's of points.

Has anybody dealt with this type of problem and are there routines to
handle it?