[R] Amount of memory under different OS

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Tue Apr 5 09:19:11 CEST 2005

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, bogdan romocea wrote:

> You need another OS. Standard/32-bit Windows (XP, 2000 etc) can't use
> more than 4 GB of RAM. Anyway, if you try to buy a box with 16 GB of
> RAM, the seller will probably warn you about Windows and recommend a
> suitable OS.

There _are_ versions of Windows 2000 and later which can support more than
4Gb (and I hope if you buy a box with more memory you would be sold the
appropriate version).  If you have a 32-bit address space you cannot have
more than 4Gb of addresses, physical or virtual.  So some modern `32-bit'
chips have segmented addressing: see e.g.

http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.mspx

(where PAE is the scheme used on IA-32 aka ix86 chips).  AFAIK the story
is the same for most IA-32 OSes: each process gets a 4Gb address space and
(usually) 3Gb of that is user space.  R's memory usage will get cramped
when the address space is tight: you probably do not want to be using 1Gb
objects in a 3Gb address space (and if you need to, try R-2.1.0 beta).

The question did not mention R, and `very tough' is not at all explicit.

For large R tasks we have been recommending 64-bit OSes for quite a long
time.  There are 64-bit versions of Windows for AMD64/EMD64T chips, but
not versions of the compilers used to build R for Windows.  There are many
users here of R under Linux (usually Fedora Core 3 or SuSE 9.x) on such
chips.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk