[R] nlme & SASmixed in 2.0.1

Deepayan Sarkar deepayan at stat.wisc.edu
Wed Apr 6 02:19:22 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 05 April 2005 18:40, Murray Jorgensen wrote:
> I assigned a class the first problem in Pinheiro & Bates, which uses
> the data set PBIB from the SASmixed package. I have recently
> downloaded 2.0.1 and its associated packages. On trying
>
> library(SASmixed)
> data(PBIB)
> library(nlme)
> plot(PBIB)
>
> I get a warning message
> Warning message:
> replacing previous import: coef in: namespaceImportFrom(self,
> asNamespace(ns))
>
> after library(nlme) and a "pairs" type plot of PBIB.

SASmixed now depends on lme4, which conflicted (until recently) with
nlme. If you had your calls to library(SASmixed) and library(nlme)
reversed, you probably would have gotten a warning.

I think the simplest thing you can do is not to load SASmixed at all.
Instead, use

data(PBIB, package = "SASmixed")

However, these datasets are (for all practical purposes) vanilla data
frames, and you won't get trellis-style plots unless you create nlme
groupedData objects yourself. (You should get them if you load the
latticeExtra package manually, and then use 'gplot' instead of 'plot'
to plot them.)

Deepayan