[R] off-topic question: Latex and R in industries

Wed Apr 6 20:09:39 CEST 2005

On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 11:38 -0400, Wensui Liu wrote:
> Latex and R are really cool stuff. I am just wondering how they are
> used in industry. But based on my own experience, very rare. Why?
>
> How about the opinion of other listers? Thanks.

As Tony has referenced, the answer will depend upon what industry you
are referring to.

There is an article in R News (2004 Vol 4 Number 1) that you might find
of interest entitled "The Decision to Use R" from a small medical
consulting business perspective:

http://cran.r-project.org/doc/Rnews/Rnews_2004-1.pdf

There is a persistent rumor of a similar article from a large corporate
medical industry environment that is due "real soon now"...  ;-)

You might also want to search the r-help archives as there have been
some fairly "lively" discussions on this in the recent past, especially
in healthcare applications when a certain other Statistical Analysis
System is referenced as being the perceived standard...

HTH,

Marc

> library(fortunes)
> fortune("Schwartz")

I use R. My company benefits from it. My clients benefit from it.
...and I sleep just fine (when I do sleep)... :-)
   -- Marc Schwartz, Medanalytics (about the `costs' of free software)
      R-help (June 2004)