[R] insignificant factors in regression model

Weijie Cai wcai11 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:48:15 CEST 2005

Hi list,

I am building a regression model with categorical predictor variable coded
by treatment contrasts. The summary of the regression model shows that some
levels are significant while others are not. The significant ones show that
they are statistically significant from the basis factor (at level 0). How
do we generally deal with those insignificant levels? If they are used for
prediction, sometimes they will produce strange results because their
coefficient estimates have large variances. Do we just simply ignore them
assuming they are not different from level 0? Or do we exclude them in
factors (by treating them as zero's) and refit the model?

any suggestions?