[R] off-topic question: Latex and R in industries

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Wed Apr 6 20:51:15 CEST 2005

It appears that more than a few people posting on this list are from
industry...

I use R for research into signal/image analysis and tomography. Most people
doing this use Matlab. I prefer R for several reasons. First, I'm a
long-time S user. Second, I'm involved in the administration and in this
respect R is far more straightforward than Matlab. I really appreciate the
effort that goes into making R configurable. R can be built on essentially
anything, in several ways, to suit; Matlab is quite limited in the platforms
it supports, and you pretty much take what you get. Third, R is very
flexible and open and easy to customize.

Reid Huntsinger