[R] bootstrap vs. resampleing

Huntsinger, Reid reid_huntsinger at merck.com
Wed Apr 6 23:48:30 CEST 2005

I may be misunderstanding the question, but I believe you want a pointwise
confidence band for the conditional odds function. The issue here is less
bootstrap versus some other resampling plan, and more how to do it at all.
For example, if no matter what "training" data you feed in, you always get
the same conditional odds estimate, no resampling will (by itself) reveal
this bias (and you will have a confidence band of width 0). You could
however use resampling together with nonparametric estimation in a variety
of ways to address this.

If you assume your conditional odds estimation to be unbiased, you could
resample and look at the empirical distribution of conditional odds ratio
estimates at a given covariate or feature value. You have to figure out how
this is related to the population distribution; this is easiest with the
bootstrap since you have the same sample size. In this case the simplest
procedure is to treat the bootstrap distribution as the population
distribution, but there are many alternatives. See the book Thomas Lumley
recommended by Jun Shao and Dongsheng Tu. They treat estimation of
regression functions in several places; those remarks are relevant for your
case as well.

Reid Huntsinger