[R] off-topic question: Latex and R in industries

Donald Ingram donald_i at mac.com
Thu Apr 7 23:46:02 CEST 2005

Wensui,

I work for 'A' electronics test equipment corporation.
I have been using R ( since 1.6 ) instead of MATLAB etc. as a general
language for data analysis and graph generation.
On they way to R I tried  Python/Scipy, Scilab and others - but R wins
in quality and ease of use (it just needs  DSP and GPIB/HPIB libraries
to be perfect ).

LaTeX is also my document  tool of choice ..

However LaTeX generated  pdfs sent out as reports are much disliked.

MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel are the standards, and very importantly
they offer cut and paste ability across the larger team.
MS's offerings comes no where near to the quality of LaTex / R, but in
world of shared authorship - it's a one sided battle.

My other PC universe vs Unix/OS X problem is vector / Meta-file
graphics - essential for quality reports.
Postscript, PDF and MS products just don't play. The newest Office and
Visio  versions seem  to be  dropping even more of the postscript
import and export filters ( which never work very well anyway ).

I have never met any other colleagues who use LaTeX or R.

Any one else sharing the same  experiences ?

Message: 37