[R] Princomp$Scores

Ken Termiso jerk_alert at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 8 19:09:17 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I was hoping that someone could verify this for me-

when I run princomp() on a matrix, it is my understanding that the scores
slot of the output is a measure of how well each row correlates (for lack of
a better word) with each principal component.

i.e. say I have a 300x6 log2 scaled matrix, and I run princomp(). I would
get back a $scores slot that is also 300x6, where each value can be negative
or positive. I'd assume that the negative values correspond to rows that are
negatively correlated with that particular PC, and vice-versa for positives.

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ken