[R] about fonts

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Sun Apr 10 18:57:26 CEST 2005

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005, ronggui wrote:

> when i use R(2.1.0) under windows,it can display Chinese well.and the

R 2.1.0 will not be out for 8 days: are you a time-traveller or careless?
(The posting guide does ask you to give the *full* version, that is 2.1.0
beta of a particular date.)

> devices can deal with the Chinese as well.but under Linux,the graphic
> device can not display Chinese ,so i guess it is due to the fonts.but
> even i change the fonts using opions(fonts=c()),it still can not work
> proper.
>
> any suggestion?

1) Read the posting guide and learn to tell us *accurately* basic
information, like which graphics device, which locale and which R version.

2) All those devices stated in the NEWS file to do so do indeed work in
Simplified Chinese (and we have no reason to suppose that they do not work
in Traditional Chinese, but the difference does matter as the glyphs are
different).  But some, e.g. pdf() do not.  The X11 device does if suitable
X11 fonts are installed, and not otherwise.  If you mean the X11 device,
seek help on an X11 forum.

(Incidentally, 2.1.0 beta under Windows XP only works in Chinese if the
correct fonts are installed, which they are not by default in the versions
sold in Europe.)

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk