[R] Re: beta distribution in terms of it's mean and standarddeviation

Bill.Venables@csiro.au Bill.Venables at csiro.au
Mon Apr 11 01:53:03 CEST 2005

For three of the beta distribution functions in R the parameters
defining the distribution are alpha, beta and 'ncp'.  Pretty trivially,
there is no bijection between these three and the mean and variance, but
for the special case of ncp = 0, I think there is.

Rather than just write it down, it's probably a good idea to see how to
get it.

Note that

mu = alpha/(alpha+beta)
s2 = alpha*beta/((alpha+beta)^2*(alpha+beta+1))
   = mu*(1-mu)/(alpha+beta+1)

So as an intermediate result put

alpha + beta = mu*(1-mu)/s2 - 1 (= ab, say, which must be positive or
you are in trouble)

giving

alpha = mu*ab
beta = (1-mu)*ab

Go forth and write your versions of the (central) beta distribution
support functions...

Bill Venables.